On November 10, 2009, it was announced that Monster Rancher DS 2 would be released in North America as Monster Rancher DS with the first DS game, Monster Farm DS not being localized in favor of its sequel.
The game involves raising, fighting, and breeding monsters. The main character is never seen on screen, but always talks to his apprentice, Cleo, directly. The player chooses his actions and choices through menu options.
How To Get MonstersEdit
There are three ways to get monsters:
1. Go to the shrine and draw a picture into a large grid (Magic Field).
- Note that only certain types of monsters can be generated through the Magic Field. For instance, no unlockable monsters may be generated through this method.
- The monster generated by the Magic Field is determined by which of the 16 sub-boxes contain ink, as well as how these boxes are connected together by ink.
2. Go to the shrine and say words into the DS microphone (Incantation).
3. Go to the shrine and scribble letters into boxes (Magic Spell). (Not unlocked at the beginning of the game.)
You can check the list with all the monsters at Monster Rancher DS Monsters.
Tips and Tricks Edit
- One of the assistants in Monster Rancher DS is an owl monster named Yukki.
- Each monster species has a Modoki breed that has 90% the life force of a normal breed
- Most of the basic monster species must be unlocked through Ventures to different areas. Most of them were made unlockable from the start in the second installation.
- On the island Venture, search the easternmost clearing to find a Joker Mask. Joker can then be regenerated at the shrine. The item can be sold or used in combination to give you a pure Phoenix.
- Get a monster to Rank B. Sometime in January, you will be invited to a Rank B Invitational on the 3rd of February, where you will fight a Dragon. Defeat the Dragon to get the Dragon Tusk.
- On the island Venture, head to the beach; you will see a Lesione swimming around near the shore.
- On the forest Venture, knock down and cross the first bridge; on the other side, search the southernmost area for a Quack Doll. Ducken can then be regenerated at the shrine.
- On the jungle Venture, go to the bottom-right corner of the map and knock down one of the trees blocking your path; after searching the area, a wild Zan will appear. As it walks away, it will drop a Ninja Sword.
- Have your monster look around the western side of the ranch sometime in August, from year 1004 onwards; you will find a yellow crystal which triggers an event in which a Beaclon visits your ranch. Beaclon can then be regenerated at the shrine, but cannot be taken to the ranch until you get the first barn upgrade
Compete in several tourneys to raise your monster's popularity; the mailman will deliver a Mew doll to you from a fan. Mew can then be regenerated at the shrine.
On the forest Venture, knock down and cross the second bridge. You will find a Goldfish Bowl on the other side. Ogyo can now be unlocked.
Find the Sheath and Sword on the arctic Venture; upon returning, the carpenter will notice the items and repair them to make the Double Edged. Durahan can then be regenerated at the shrine.
On the jungle Venture, go to the top-left area of the map and knock down one of the trees blocking your path. Search the other side to find a Phoenix Feather. Phoenix can then be regenerated at the shrine.
On the pyramid Venture, search the bottom-right room for a mysterious white shard. Afterwards, search the left-most room at the northern intersection near the entrance for a mysterious red shard. At the ranch, a scholar will come over to inspect them. After some elaboration, he will take them. Afterwards, return to the pyramid and search the room where you found the mysterious white shard for the King's Crest. At the ranch, the scholar will return to inspect the crest, explaining its connection with the Xenon monster.
On the pyramid Venture, search the area for five Henger parts (they are far apart, so multiple trips may be necessary); two in the bottom-left room, one in the left-most room at the northern intersection near the entrance, one in the top-right corner of the map and one in the right-most corridor on the way there. At the ranch, the scholar will come over and assemble a Henger Doll using the parts.
- Most of the encyclopedia entries have not be translated, but those that have seem identical to the ones from Monster Rancher DS 2 and similar to Monster Rancher 4.